230g unsalted butter softened
230g caster sugar
235g self-raising flour
1/2 lemon, zested
For the drizzle topping:
1 lemon, juiced
85g caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add the eggs slowly and mix till combined well.
- Sift in the self-raising flour, then add the lemon zest and mix.
- Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper, then pour in the mixture and level out in the tin.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and sugar to make the drizzle.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – leave to cool, decorate with dried lemon or edible flowers then serve!