Rich dark chocolate provides a intense flavour to this light, baked dish. It is the perfect dessert to finish your romantic homemade meal for two.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 85g chocolate
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/ Fan 160° / Gas Mark 4
- Use 1 tablespoon of the butter to grease the 4 ramekins. Coat the inside of the ramekins with the cocoa powder, tapping out the excess and re-using to coat the remaining ramekins.
- In a large bowl over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and remaining butter. Stir occasionally until smooth. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time until smooth. Set aside.
- In another large bowl beat the egg whites with the sugar, salt, and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Using a metal spoon, gently fold the egg-white mixture into the chocolate. Divide the mixture between the 4 ramekins.
- Bake until puffed and set, this will take about 10-15 minutes.