Preparation Time: 30mins
420 ml whole milk
30 small salted pretzels
4 egg yolks, at room temperature
130 g sugar
240 ml double cream, at room temperature
90 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
100 g peanut butter
- 1- Place the pretzels in a bowl and pour in the milk, making sure the pretzels are fully submerged. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for 1.5 hours.
- 2- Using a sieve, strain the milk into a medium saucepan. Press down on the pretzels to release any extra milk and then discard the pretzels.
- 3- Heat up the pretzel milk on a medium heat. Stir continuously until the milk is shot to the touch (43°C) then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- 4- Pour ¼ cup of the hot milk into a measuring jug and set aside.
- 5- Fit the whisk to the main bowl of your Magimix and add the egg yolks and sugar. Remove the small feed tubes from the lid, to allow more air into the mixture and so that you can pour in further ingredients during the process.
- 6- Press auto, allowing your Magimix to whisk the mixture until it is a smooth, pale yellow consistency approx. 60 seconds. After this, slowly pour in the ¼ cup of hot milk, whilst your Magimix continues to whisk the mixture.
- 7- After approx. 15 seconds, once the milk has been added, press stop.
- 8- Place the saucepan back onto a low heat and pour the mixture in your Magimix slowly into the saucepan.
- 9- Continually stir the mixture as it cooks over a low heat until it has thickened and coats the back of a spoon (77-80°C) and remove from the heat.
- 10- Using a sieve, strain the mixture into a large bowl and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Once cool, stir the double cream into the mixture until it is fully absorbed. Then, cover the bowl with cling film and place in the fridge for 4-5 hours – overnight if possible.
- 11- Turn on the Gelato Expert by pressing the Freezer unit button. After approx. 5 minutes the bowl should be ready for use.
- 12- Press the Ice Cream programme and once the paddle begins to turn pour in the mixture.
- 13- Meanwhile, melt the peanut butter in a sauce pan so that it becomes smoother and more liquified.
- 14- Just before the ice cream is ready, after approx. 15 minutes remove the lid and add in the peanut butter and chocolate chunks.
- 15- Once the ice cream is ready the Gelato Expert will alert you and automatically go into storage mode for 2-3hours allowing you to leave it and come back when you are ready. Serve your ice cream straight away and store the leftovers in your freezer in a suitable airtight container.
CHEF’S TIP :
Serve with extra chocolate chunks and pretzels.