Burrata is a unique, mild flavoured cheese with an outer layer of firm mozzarella and a gooey interior of soft cheese and cream. This scrumptious version of a basic burrata pizza combines traditional Italian ingredients into a modern, fresh experience. The crispy, lightly-charred crust melds with the smooth, buttery burrata perfectly, while the tart tomato cause provides balance and acidity. Delicate layers of pillowy prosciutto add a salty, savoury note, complimented by a touch of fresh basil and fruity olive oil.
Makes 1 x 12/16” pizza
Ingredients250/330g classic pizza dough 5 tbsp (90 ml) classic pizza sauce
2 to 3 slices prosciutto
150 g burrata6 to 8 basil leaves, torn into pieces 2 tbsp (40 ml) extra virgin olive oil
1. Prepare your classic pizza dough ahead of time.
2. You can use any pizza sauce for this pizza, but we recommend the simple classic pizza sauce. It’s the perfect base for your favourite toppings and will complement the smoky crust with flavours of garlic, basil and tangy tomatoes.
3. Bring the burrata up to room temperature by leaving on the counter for about 30 minutes before you’re ready to make your pizza.
5. Sprinkle your Ooni pizza peel with a light dusting of flour. Place the dough ball down and flatten with the palm of your hand. Press the dough gently with the tips of your fingers, working from the center to the outer “crust”. Gently pick up the dough and stretch it out to 12” or 16”, allowing the weight of the dough to stretch it.
6. Spread the classic pizza sauce evenly across the dough, leaving a 1 inch border for the crust.
7. Slide your sauced pizza off the peel and into your Ooni pizza oven. Cook the pizza, rotating frequently, until the crust is crisp with small charred bubbles. In your Ooni pizza oven, this only takes a couple of minutes!
8. Remove your pizza from the oven and lay the prosciutto down in ribbons on top. Place the burrata in the middle and sprinkle on the basil leaves. Finish with a thin stream of olive oil over the top.